frequently asked questions
At the time of this writing, OMS is provided free of charge to all BFDs and their staff members. OMS does not override the leadership of the BFDs and each person listed as a "Candidate" for the Matching and Blessing has been approved by the BFD of their respective country. CIGI is not in charge of matching and blessing applications and does not provide that service.
Please download the following document: "How to View Flash Based Websites on an iPad" or follow the instruction below:
- Download a browser app that supports Flash from the App Store. Puffin Web Browser is one option that offers a free version.
- Tap the Safari icon to launch the Safari web browser.
- Browse to the site you want to view and tap the URL bar twice.
- Tap Select All from the menu that appears.
- Tap Copy on the next menu that appears.
- From your iPad’s Home screen, launch your Flash compatible browser by tapping its icon.
- Tap the URL bar within the app and tap the X to clear the current web address.
- Tap the URL bar again and tap Paste from the menu that appears.
- Now tap Go on the on screen keyboard.
- The Flash site will now be visible on your iPad.
- A Limited Profile DOES NOT identify the individual.
- A Limited Profile does not provide pictures, email address, physical address, phone # and other identifiable information. A Limited Profile does not even give the name of the pastor, sponsor, or advisor of the individual.
- A Limited Profile gives information about:
- Race and age
- Education and work
- Previous marriages and/or Blessings
- Answers to all the essay questions
- A Limited Profile, if well written, will provide a pretty good idea of the kind of person who has written the profile and can therefore make an educated decision whether or not they would like to pursue knowing this person. That is the purpose of the Limited Profile.
- A Full Profile contains all information listed on the Limited Profile plus pictures and all indentifying information provided through OMS.
- A Matching Supporter is a person who is willing to take responsibility to guide an individual from preparation for the Matching and Blessing, all the way to a successful Blessing. Matching Supporters are trusted with very private information and educated by the Blessing Family Departments to fulfill this responsibility. They have to keep themselves up-to-date on all the Matching and Blessing requirements and must have common sense and great sensitivity about the privacy of other people.
- In the USA, Matching Supporters work with local representatives of the BFM and with local Pastors. However, Pastors and BFM reps are not necessarily Matching Supporters. Applicants should relate to a Matching Supporter whom they trust and who knows them well.
- A Sponsor is someone who knows an Applicant well. A Sponsor should be able to vouch for the integrity and the character of the Applicant. A Sponsor is not a Matching Supporter and does not have to go through the trainings. A Sponsor can help the Matching Supporter because he or she understands an Applicant's qualifications and background. A Sponsor and the Matching Supporter help the Candidate in the search for a potential match.
OMS is a tool—simply a tool—to help you find the spouse of your choice. You will be able to search for a spouse through OMS only if you are able to show intent and qualify for the Marriage Blessing. That is where the relationship between OMS and the Family Federation is important and necessary. Depending on your affiliation with FFWPU, your application will differ. It is up to you on how you want to proceed to:
- qualify and
- search for your spouse
During a preliminary search, Candidates and their parents (if parents are involved) will have the option to read what OMS calls a Candidate’s “Limited Profile.” A Limited Profile does not reveal the identity of the candidate but, if well written, should provide enough information to give the reader a pretty good idea of the person’s character. The ability to ask questions about a Limited Profile via a private and secure anonymous email system is necessary to keep both sides honest and without the fear of being “discovered.”
That is the difference between OMS and the other systems available at this time.
The ability to request a Full Profile is another important focus. Once a Full Profile has been granted by the other party, both sides will focus on what the Family Matching Handbook refers to as the “Introduction Phase.” If, after some time, both parties no longer wish to continue the relationship, they can both simply email OMS of that intention. OMS will then reset each Candidate’s file so that the search for a different person can begin.
If you want me to give you a time frame, I would estimate six months to several years. In our experience, that is what it will take from the time you are a Candidate, not from the time you are thinking about becoming one. Please remember, you are not alone. None of us are. You have a plan for your life, so does God, our Heavenly Parent. Do your part so that God can do His part.
Yes, you are not alone. Practicing one’s faith is a very private matter and no one should be judged for not practicing rituals for rituals sake. Rituals are there to support one’s faith, not dominate it.
- Each site has a different purpose. Basically
there are two purposes:
- Proof of eligibility to be a Candidate (only one site)
- There is only one site in the USA. It is the Blessing and Family Ministry at http://bfm.familyfed.org. That is where you will find the official online Matching and Blessing application. This online application only serves the North American continent at this time.
- All the other BFDs have their own (pen and paper) applications.
- Searching for a spouse (multiple sites)
- Blessed Family Association (BFA). The oldest site, started by a group of Unificationists who desired to help other Unificationist families. It is funded through private donations and does not fall under the leadership of HSA-UWC. One of the services they provide is called, “Matchbook.” It is a database where children of Unificationists can search for their Heavenly Spouse.
- The International Matching Site, established October 2007, falls under the umbrella of HSA-UWC. This site is a joint venture by the headquarters of the Unification Movements of Korea, Japan, Europe, and the United States. (It supports three languages: Korean, Japanese, and English.) It is a database where children of Unificationists can search for their Heavenly Spouse.
- Online Matching System (The site through which you are reading this information) became live October 1st, 2010. This site is privately funded and, just like the BFA, does not fall under the leadership of HSA-UWC.
- Proof of eligibility to be a Candidate (only one site)
Let me approach the subject of the size of our pool of candidates. The membership of the Unification Movement worldwide is still quite small in comparison with many other religious groups. However, not small enough to not make a difference, therefore, word-of-mouth "advertising" is extremely important. If you are reading this and feel that this particular site is doing a good job, then please advertise it. Talk about it. Write about it—in a blog, through Social Media, etc.
While only a small percentage of our membership is currently registered through our site. OMS is willing, ready, and able to serve a large pool of candidates. OMS works very closely with every nation's Blessing Family Departments and do not override their leadership. Members and affiliates of the Unification Movement will not be turned down if they register on OMS. Each person will receive the support they need to find their heavenly spouse.